Friday, November 11, 2011

Cool Bag Alternatives

I think it's about time I wrote something a little bit more light-hearted.  My classes are nearing the end of the semester, and while my stress levels are ramping up, I need to step back and think about the fun and positive impacts we can make.  My friend sent me the link to this great DIY blog post about using alternative produce bags!

I think is great because so many of us bring our own bags to the grocery so we don't contribute to plastic waste, but what about our produce?  I admit that I forgo the plastic produce bags and just drop everything in my canvas bags.  But there are times when you want to keep your green beans in line, so they don't scatter throughout the hummus, bread, or other items!  These T-shirt bags are the perfect solution.  You simply follow Delia's instructions for cutting your old T (and if you're like me, there is no shortage of old band/college/#passépunk shirts stuffed in a drawer somewhere...).   This will be a fun project for me while I take short breaks from studying this weekend, and I look forward to keeping my lettuce leaves, sprouts, and any other bulk produce items in their place!  I will probably also make one or two without the slits cut in the side for bulk granola and nuts.

If any of you have other cool ways to curb plastic bag use, I'd love to hear about them!!

No comments: